Tag Archives: Rose-Path/ camino de rosas

Cochinilla de La Palma

Durante mis vacaciones de verano en La Palma coseché mi propia cochinilla silvestre.
Bichos grandes y jugosos, que me dieron este precioso color en seda mordentada con alumbre y cremor tártaro.
Cuatro borlas en cada lado del chal dan tres opciones de llevarlo, porque sirven de botones. La pieza está enhebrada y tejida en camino de rosas con colores alternadas

 

Cochineal from La Palma

I harvested my own wild cochineal during my summer holidays in La Palma.
Big juicy bugs, that gave me this beautiful colour on silk mordanted with alum and cream of tartar.
Four tassel on each end of the shawl are giving three possibilities of wearing it, because they work as buttons.
The pattern is a rosepath with alternating colours.

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized, weaving/tejer/weben

Back to the loom

After an endless summer, that is actually still going on (took a bath in the ocean yesterday) at least I´m back to some weaving.

Since Ulysses arrived to the Azores in July, Penelope did not touch her loom! I flew over to meet him and we sailed back to the Canaries with a stopover on Madeira. And once back home I got involved in some serious training for a mountain bike challenge that took place on Fuerteventura end of October. And not only the saddle blanket project died, also the horse it was mend for. So I recycled the warp and went back to the rosepath mixing linen, wool and cotton in all natural colours I had, to make some cushion covers for my living room.

De vuelta al telar

Después de un verano interminable  que realmente todavía no ha terminado (me dí un baño en la mar ayer) por fin he vuelto a tejer.

Desde que Ulysses llegó a las Azores en julio, Penelope no ha tocado su telar!  Cogí el avión para encontrarme con el y la vuelta  fue en su velero con escala en Madeira. Una vez aquí empecé un serio entreanamiento para 150 km en bici de montaña en Fuerteventura a finales de octubre.  No solo el proyecto de la manta de caballo murió, sino tambien el caballo. Así aproveché la urdimbre para volver al enhebrado del camino de rosas mesclando lino, algodón y lana en colores naturales para hacer unos cojines para mi salón.

2 Comments

Filed under weaving/tejer/weben

Two big Lessons on one Project

First project I screwed up!

I knew it had to happen some day. A friend of mine had asked me to weave a summer shawl for her and I had found some light pink and salmon coloured mercerised cotton.

I planed and threaded a rose-path set up with 360 threads. Everything seemed to work out perfectly but when I started with my salmon weft, I learned the big lesson why the pattern and the number of threads in each dent of the reed have to correspond. I had planned with 6 treads/cm feeding double in a 3dent/cm reed but my design was based on uneven numbers and the pattern did not show up as it should. My weaving teacher borrowed  me a 6dent/cm reed. I unraveled what I had done so far and changed the reed, the new one  just wide enough for my 360 threads. Now everything just seemed to be perfect, but I was really not so happy with the warp tension. So after 70 cm of weaving I did what I´m never ever going to do again: I wound all the warp on the front boom thinking that I could even out the tension. To keep it short: I screwed it up! During one week I didn´t want to know anything about the loom!  On Thursday I decided to cut off the woven part to get a proper tension on the rest of warp to use it for a pillowcase. The part I had already woven and looked so uneven on the loom is really perfect after washing and would have made a gorgeous shawl. I just should have kept on going. Now my mother is going to get a real posh kitchen towel when I´m going to visit her in Germany beginning of May.


Dos grandes lecciones en un solo proyecto

¡Algún día tenía que pasar! Una amiga mía me había pedido un chal de verano y yo encontré un hilo de algodón mercerizado en un rosa clarito y salmón.

Planifiqué y enhebré un camino de rosas con 360 hilos. Todo parecía perfecto, pero cuando empecé con la trama salmón aprendí la gran lección, porqué el patrón y los dientes del peine tienen que corresponder. Yo planifiqué con 6 hilos/cm enhebrando doble en un peine del tres pero mi diseño estaba basado en número impares y el dibujo no se apreciaba como pensado. Mi maestra me prestó un peine del 6. Desbaraté lo que tenía tejido y cambié el peine, que quedó justito a la medida para mis 360 hilos. Ahora todo parecía perfecto, excepto la tensión de la urdimbre, que no era muy uniforme. Entonces después de tejer 70 cm hice lo que más nunca vuelvo a hacer: envolví toda la urdimbre en la parte delantera para poder tensarla uniformemente. Con brevedad: Lo cagué! Durante una semana ni no quería ni mirar el telar. El jueves decidí cortar por lo sano para volver a tensar el resto de la urdimbre y aprovecharla para un cojín. La parte que corté quedó preciosa después de lavarlo y hubiera sido un chal muy guapo. Solo tenía que haber seguido. Ahora se ha convertido en un paño de cocina muy pijo que regalaré a mi madre.

1 Comment

Filed under weaving/tejer/weben