Two big Lessons on one Project

First project I screwed up!

I knew it had to happen some day. A friend of mine had asked me to weave a summer shawl for her and I had found some light pink and salmon coloured mercerised cotton.

I planed and threaded a rose-path set up with 360 threads. Everything seemed to work out perfectly but when I started with my salmon weft, I learned the big lesson why the pattern and the number of threads in each dent of the reed have to correspond. I had planned with 6 treads/cm feeding double in a 3dent/cm reed but my design was based on uneven numbers and the pattern did not show up as it should. My weaving teacher borrowed  me a 6dent/cm reed. I unraveled what I had done so far and changed the reed, the new one  just wide enough for my 360 threads. Now everything just seemed to be perfect, but I was really not so happy with the warp tension. So after 70 cm of weaving I did what I´m never ever going to do again: I wound all the warp on the front boom thinking that I could even out the tension. To keep it short: I screwed it up! During one week I didn´t want to know anything about the loom!  On Thursday I decided to cut off the woven part to get a proper tension on the rest of warp to use it for a pillowcase. The part I had already woven and looked so uneven on the loom is really perfect after washing and would have made a gorgeous shawl. I just should have kept on going. Now my mother is going to get a real posh kitchen towel when I´m going to visit her in Germany beginning of May.


Dos grandes lecciones en un solo proyecto

¡Algún día tenía que pasar! Una amiga mía me había pedido un chal de verano y yo encontré un hilo de algodón mercerizado en un rosa clarito y salmón.

Planifiqué y enhebré un camino de rosas con 360 hilos. Todo parecía perfecto, pero cuando empecé con la trama salmón aprendí la gran lección, porqué el patrón y los dientes del peine tienen que corresponder. Yo planifiqué con 6 hilos/cm enhebrando doble en un peine del tres pero mi diseño estaba basado en número impares y el dibujo no se apreciaba como pensado. Mi maestra me prestó un peine del 6. Desbaraté lo que tenía tejido y cambié el peine, que quedó justito a la medida para mis 360 hilos. Ahora todo parecía perfecto, excepto la tensión de la urdimbre, que no era muy uniforme. Entonces después de tejer 70 cm hice lo que más nunca vuelvo a hacer: envolví toda la urdimbre en la parte delantera para poder tensarla uniformemente. Con brevedad: Lo cagué! Durante una semana ni no quería ni mirar el telar. El jueves decidí cortar por lo sano para volver a tensar el resto de la urdimbre y aprovecharla para un cojín. La parte que corté quedó preciosa después de lavarlo y hubiera sido un chal muy guapo. Solo tenía que haber seguido. Ahora se ha convertido en un paño de cocina muy pijo que regalaré a mi madre.

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under weaving/tejer/weben

One response to “Two big Lessons on one Project

  1. Zaida

    Si todas tus equivocaciones quedan tan bonitas, NO DEJES DE EQUIVOCARTE…JA JA JA JA
    Seguro que conseguirás hacerle la bufanda que pretendías…sin cortes…ja ja ja
    Buenas noches,
    Zaida

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s